Lentil stuffed capsicums are quick and easy dinner option that will fill you up for sure! Lentils are packed with protein and will keep you feeling full and satisfied for long. I don’t know what it is with stuffed capsicums, but I find them so filling. I am sure if I had the same amount and ingredients just on my plate, I wouldn’t feel full! It has to be magic! 😀
The filling is delicious on it’s own and would be tasty in a wrap for example. But it becomes even more delicious and aromatic once stuffed into capsicums and roasted in oven. These lentil stuffed capsicums are so healthy, hearty, filling and versatile. You could add some quinoa or rice, beans or more vegetables if you like. Go all out and sprinkle some vegan cheese on top and let it melt into gooey deliciousness. YUM!
6 large capsicums
water or oil for sauteing
1 red onion, diced
2 cups frozen spinach, thawed
2 cups mushrooms, sliced
2 cans brown lentils, drained and rinsed
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp chili powder
salt and pepper to taste
- Add diced onion, spices and oil or water into a saucepan and saute until onions become translucent.
- Add mushrooms, spinach and lentils and let simmer over medium heat. For 5-10 more minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180’C degrees.
- Cut the top of the capsicums off and remove the seeds.
- Taste the lentil mixture and adjust the seasoning.
- Generously stuff capsicums with lentil mixture until all capsicums are full.
- Place stuffed capsicums over baking tray or dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until capsicums are soft and slightly golden brown. For softer peppers, bake 5-10 minutes more. Enjoy!