These raw crackers are the bomb! I haven’t used my dehydrator for a long time, not really sure why, but had a chance to do so few weeks ago, when I was asked to make raw savory foods for a private event. These raw crackers were one of the items I made, and they turned out to be so delicious, that I ended up making another batch just for myself! And share the recipe with you, because I haven’t been very active at the recipe posting frontier lately, and you deserve a delicious recipe.
These raw crackers are raw (duh!), vegan (obviously), gluten free (not surprisingly) and NUT FREE (that’s pretty unusual for me!). Hmmm, so what is in them, you might ask? Only different kinds of seeds, some herbs and spices. And nutritional yeast. Just because I am obsessed over that stuff. It’s optional, as are all the herbs and spices. Use the ones you like! So these crackers are protein packed, super healthy, loaded with vitamins, minerals and good fats and simple to make.
I made these in my dehydrator, but if you don’t own one, or don’t have hours to wait for these crackers (I often make mine overnight), you can also make these in the oven on a low temperature. I make mine quite thin, but thick enough to dip them in hummus, without them crumbling into million pieces. The thickness of these raw crackers determines how long you bake/ dehydrate them. So you kinda want to keep and eye on them. If you are not so concerned with the raw factor, you can bake these in 90 – 100’C for 2-3 hours, on until dry. In the dehydrator, I made them overnight and dehydrated them for about 10/12 hours, until they were completely dry and crunchy.
1/2 cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
1 cup flax meal
1/3 cup sesame seeds
1/4 cup chia seeds
1 tsp salt
pepper to taste (optional)
1-2 tsp Italian Herbs
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 1/4 cup water
- Preheat oven to 190’C if baking these raw crackers.
- Add the pepitas in the food processor and pulse few times until coarse.
- Add pepitas with all the remaining dry ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix. Add water and keep mixing, until the seed mixture turns into a gel like consistency.
- Place the mixture in between two sheets of baking paper and roll the mixture evenly flat, to your desired thickness.
- Use a knife to cut (without moving the mixture) into pieces. It’s easier to do this when the raw cracker mixture is wet, instead of trying to cut it once dry.
- Place the raw cracker in the over or in the dehydrator. Once raw crackers are completely dry and crunchy, remove from the oven or dehydrator. Store in air tight container. Enjoy!