Who is keen for some savory breakfast muffins?! Well, technically these pesto muffins were meant to be breakfast muffins, but I made them night before and they were too good, so we ended up munching them all! I am the biggest fan of pesto. Even working on a basil farm years a go for few months and handling basil hours every day and smelling basil 24/7 didn’t kill my love for pesto. So, I love to use it in many dishes. And if there’s pesto in a dish, I am almost 100% going to love it.
These pesto muffins are gluten free, dairy free and relatively low in fat, so they make a perfect healthy breakfast or a snack. The weirdest ingredient in this recipe is unsweetened apple sauce. I wanted to make this with vegan cream cheese or soy yogurt, but I didn’t have any, so I opted for the closest alternative 😀 Basically, I was just after moisture and all of those 3 ingredients are meant to work as egg replacement.
2 tbsp olive oil
1 small red onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced (or more to taste)
1 cup gluten free flour
1/2 cup chickpea flour
2 tsp baking powder
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup dairy free pesto (shop bought or my recipe) + optional extra
1/2 cup of vegan cream cheese or soy yogurt or unsweetened apple sauce
3/4 cup water or plant based milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes, small pieces
- Preheat oven to 190’C and grease a muffin tin or use muffin liners.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and saute onion and garlic for 5 minutes.
- Stir together gluten free flour, chickpea flour, baking powder, salt and pepper.
- Stir 1/2 cup of pesto in the onion and garlic mix, add yogurt (or cream cheese or apple sauce) , water (or plant based milk) and apple cider vinegar. Mix in the sun-dried tomatoes.
- Add wet mixture into the dry mixture and stir until well combined.
- Transfer the pesto muffins mixture to the muffin tins. Add optional extra dollop of pesto on top of each muffin.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool before serving. Enjoy!