This was my first time making a tofu quiche and it really surprised me with how amazing it turned out! It was a while a go, that I actually made this meal, but have’t had a chance to post this recipe here until now. But I do remember it was a day when I had zero motivation to go and buy groceries. The only problem was, there wasn’t much else than a light in my fridge and my cupboard was looking awfully empty as well. So, this tofu quiche was born from scratch from the ingredients I happened to have left at home. Since then, I’ve made this a few different ways simply by changing up the vegetables used.
Even Tom went crazy for this tofu quiche and couldn’t believe how tasty it was! Perfect crunchy gluten free crust, filled with real quiche like filling, made from tofu. Hard to believe this recipe is egg, dairy and gluten free. We often enjoy the leftovers until the quiche is finished. This is something I would definitely make for people who are not used to eating vegan food. This dish is surely loved by vegans and non-vegans alike.
I am anxiously waiting my holiday in few weeks! It will be so much needed. Me and Tom have both been working so much for months now and we haven’t really had any days off or any time for each other. Also, my parents are coming to Australia for their first time and I am so excited to see them again! Even though my parents are mostly plant based and certainly not new to vegan cuisine, I am planning to impress them with this tofu quiche! Hope you love this quiche as much as we do! Enjoy it for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
1 flax “egg” (1 tbsp flax meal + 3 tbsp water, mixed together)
1 cup almond meal or almonds ground into flour
1 cup oats (use gluten free oats or quinoa flakes for gluten free option)
1 tbsp Italian herbs
2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 cup nutritional yeast (optional)
1 tbsp olive oil
salt and black pepper to taste
water if needed
250 g block firm tofu
1 red onion, diced
3 large garlic cloves,crushed
3 cups mushrooms, sliced
2 cups baby spinach
1/2 cup black olives
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 tbsp Italian herbs
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup water or plant based milk if needed
- Preheat oven to 175’C and lightly grease a round 10-inch tart pan with coconut or olive oil.
- Mix flax and water mixture in a small bowl and set aside to gel up.
- Place almonds and oats into a food processor and blend until you have a flour mixture and add all the remaining dry crust ingredients.
- Add in the flax mixture and oil. Stir until mostly combined, adding few tablespoons of water until the dough is sticky. The dough should stick together when you press it between your fingers.
- Press the mixture evenly into the greased pan.
- Bake the crust at 175’C for 10 minutes, or until lightly golden and firm to touch. Set aside to cool. Increase oven temperature to 190’C.
- Process tofu until smooth and creamy. You might need to add plant based milk or water.
- In a skillet, add oil or water and saute the diced onion and garlic over medium heat for a few minutes. Stir in the mushrooms and cook on medium-high heat about 10 minutes. Stir in the herbs, spinach, olives, nutritional yeast, salt, pepper, and until combined. Cook until the spinach is wilted.
- Remove from heat and stir in the processed tofu until thoroughly combined. Taste and adjust seasoning to taste. Spoon mixture into baked crust and smooth out.
- Bake quiche at 190’C for 30 minutes, until the quiche is firm to the touch. Let the tofu quiche to cool before cutting. Enjoy!